Thursday, January 3, 2013

Maple Oatmeal Bread--Updated

Update 1/12/ 2013: While this bread was delicious, I didn't find it amazing. But after getting some requests for me to bake it, I baked and tasted it again--after it was completely cooled. Then I could really taste the sweetness and the flavor of the maple syrup--and it was amazing!

I was attracted to this oatmeal bread recipe because of the maple syrup in it. Besides it being delicious, I live in maple syrup country. So it's always nice to be able to use it in my baking, as well as on my pancakes and waffles.

Maple Oatmeal Bread
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
1 package (2¼ tsp.) dry yeast
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon oil
5 cups flour
Put the oats into a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the oats and set aside for an hour.
Mix the yeast, syrup, salt, and oil into the oats. Mix in 3 cups of the flour. Cover the bowl and let rise for an hour.
Add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough is the correct consistency. Knead for 10 minutes. Cut the dough into two pieces, then shape it into loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 40 - 50 minutes.
I changed the recipe a little. Since it didn't specify the type of flour, I presumed all-purpose flour. After kneading the dough, I put it in an oiled bowl, covered it, and let it raise until almost double. Then I formed the loaves. It just didn't "feel" right to not let it raise after kneading and before forming the loaves. Sometime I'll try it that way and see what the difference is.

I didn't have time to make a whole wheat version of this today, so I want to try that really soon.

Right now it is baking. I can smell the maple syrup!

And here is the baked bread! Now I have to wait for it to cool enough that I can slice it and taste it.
The crust is surprisingly, well, crusty. Like this might work well baked on a baking sheet and steaming it for the first few minutes in the oven to create an even crunchier crust. The bread is moist, dense, and coarse. You can really taste the sweetness of the maple syrup. All in all, it's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment