Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Monkey Bread--Updated

Monkey Bread, or Pull-Apart Bread, is yet another way of baking my Aunt Betty's awesome roll dough, for which you can find the recipe here. You can use bread dough or even (breathe, Kathy) canned biscuit dough, but I prefer roll dough. This roll dough.

This is a lot of dough, so you might want to cut the recipe down. Today I used half of the dough to bake 2 dozen dinner rolls, and the other half to make 5 small loaves and one regular loaf of Monkey Bread. So, with half of the dough, you can make 8 small loaves or 3 regular loaves. (Don't get too hung up by the proportions here!) I don't have a bundt pan, so I don't know how much that would take.
 
Combine ¾ C sugar and 6 tsp. cinnamon in plastic container or bag. Cut or pinch Sweet Roll Dough into pieces; then shake 10-12 pieces at a time in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place the pieces in buttered loaf pans or Bundt pan.
When I made this before, I pinched off the dough into small pieces (about 3/4-1 inch in diameter). That would be fine for one or two loaves. But I was making even more that day than I made today. So it took forever. Today I decided to pat the dough out and cut it with a pizza cutter. That worked much better!

Update: Instead of flouring your counter, smear a little canola oil on the counter and pat the dough out onto it. The cinnamon-sugar sticks to the dough better this way.


   
Melt butter. Add brown sugar and cook and stir until it begins to boil. Pour mixture of butter and brown sugar over dough in pans. (1 C butter + ½ C brown sugar is enough for ½ batch of dough, yielding 8 small loaves or 3 regular loaves.)

That's a lot of butter! Remember to make this is an occasional treat!
 
Let rise. Bake at 350° for about 15-20 minutes for small pans and longer for regular pans, until browned. Invert onto plate.

If you can, eat this when it is a few minutes out of the oven and still warm.
The. Best.
It's still very good when cold. I have no experience with eating it the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment