Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fruit Crisp

At a recent family dinner, we were planning to have homemade magic shell, a new favorite topping, with ice cream and frozen fruit for dessert. If you use frozen fruit, it's best to let it thaw slightly. In preparation, I had put mixed frozen fruit--one of those bags of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries--in a serving bowl. Well, we ended up just serving ice cream with the magic shell. So I tried to think of something else to do with the fruit. I thought of cobbler, but I'm not really a cobbler fan. But I love crisps! I decided to modify my Apple Crisp Topping. I simply left out the spices, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. But berries are a lot juicier than apples, so I decided to prepare the fruit as if I were making cobbler.

Here is the resulting recipe:
Fruit Crisp

In a large, heavy pot, combine:
1/4 C sugar
1 T corn starch

Add:
4 C mixed fruit (such as a bag of frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)

Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.

Pour into an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish or 9"x13" baking pan.

Top with Apple Crisp Topping, minus the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the fruit is boiling and the topping has browned.

Enjoy warm or cold, by itself or with ice cream. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment