Monday, October 8, 2012

Seasonal Sandwich

A friend gave me some tomatoes from his garden yesterday. The season for garden-ripened tomatoes is short and fast growing to a close. So I decided to make this seasonal sandwich for breakfast today:


Chop a clove of fresh garlic and spread it on a slice of home-made 100% whole-wheat bread. Add slices of mozzarella cheese. (I slice the cheese very thin and use only about 1 ounce in all. Today I used colby-jack cheese because I didn't have any mozzarella.) Add slices of fresh-from-the-garden tomato. Grind a little pepper on top. Add fresh basil leaves. Add a couple more slices of cheese. Top with another slice of home-made 100% whole-wheat bread. Toast in the Foreman grill (or equivalent) until cheese melts. Eat immediately!

Ready to grill!

Ready to eat!

I used bread that I had made with hard white whole wheat. In case you are unfamiliar with it, white whole wheats, both soft and hard, are newer wheat strains, but they are nutritionally similar to their red wheat counterparts. The main difference is the lighter bran has a milder flavor, so bread and other products using these white wheats have a milder flavor. I'm offering White Whole Wheat Bread made with 100% white whole wheat flour in this Friday's baking. So, if you are interested in ordering some, e-mail me at ksimmonsd@gmail.com and I will send you an order sheet.

I'm also baking Cracked Wheat Bread this Friday, using my Aunt Betty's famous recipe. Well, it's famous in our family and in Moses Lake, Washington, and surrounding communities!

No comments:

Post a Comment