Monday, October 1, 2012

My Whole Wheat Bread: You Bake or I Bake

I want to share the whole grain happiness!
Some people have asked me for the recipe of my whole wheat bread. So here it is. Some of you may be interested in eating or trying whole wheat bread but don't want to bake it yourself. If you live in my area, I can bake it for you. If you are interested, e-mail me at ksdowning@gmail.com and I will send you information.


Whole Grain Bread

Dissolve:
1 Tbsp. yeast
in:
3 C lukewarm water
Let stand in a warm place until it starts bubbling (5 minutes). Beat in:
⅓ C honey
3 Tbsp. oil (I prefer canola oil.)
1½ tsp. salt
1 egg
Add and knead:
8 C whole wheat flour (more [most likely] or less, as needed)
  
Allow the dough to rise once in an oiled bowl and once in greased baking pans.
To bake, place loaves in a 400 degree oven. After 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake 25 minutes longer. Test for doneness. Remove the loaves at once from the pans and cool on a rack before storing.

Yields 3 loaves

Note: I use flour freshly-ground from hard red wheat. More on that another time!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of making bread from wheat berries. May I ask what you use to grind your wheat berries into flour?? Or is there someone/place local to you that does this as a business?? Thank you for any response you can provide. Judy

    ReplyDelete